Since December, the WGI Board of Directors has been evaluating the first updates to our mission statement in ten years to reflect the organization’s increasing awareness of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This progressive focus encompasses our commitment to all those participating in our events and activities and our philosophy behind every decision.
We are proud to share these changes as we move forward into our 45th anniversary season through the presentation below:
As WGI strengthens its commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, this update brings the organization’s mission into the modern age with DEI at the forefront—keeping us grounded and more focused on what inspiring and educating young performers around the world truly means.
- Created a mentorship program (I AM WGI: Future Leaders Program) aiming to lay the groundwork for mentorship of young leaders from the performer ranks of WGI.
- Continued our efforts to foster inclusion throughout WGI.
- Developed a “Community Spotlight” social media series to highlight some of the many black individuals and women participating in our activities.
- Highlighted how an Independent group is handling diversity training within their organization.
- Created a community-funded monetary award that provides an opportunity for outstanding minority performers with significant financial need to reach their highest potential.
- Shared how one Independent group is using a podcast to provide minority members with a platform to share their hard truths.
- Compiled a list of educational resources for LGBTQ+ individuals and LGBTQ+ allies during Pride Month. (available year-round)
- Required the WGI Board of Directors to complete 8 hours of Social Justice Sessions this summer via The National Conference for Community & Justice (NCCJ) of Greater Dayton.
- Kick-started IT/database changes to allow for collection of preferred pronouns and other demographics for all involved in the organization.
- MORE INFO COMING SOON!
To everyone in the WGI Community, thank you for continuing to inspire us to be better. As we continue to move forward, there is more work to be done, and we couldn’t be more excited.
WGI Sport of the Arts