The benefits students derive from being in a winter guard are innumerable.
EXPERIENCES THAT MOLD THE STUDENTS’ FUTURE
- Students experience a “community” of peers all focused on a positive common goal.
- Students learn about commitment.
- Students learn that competition is a means to set new standards and they learn to push themselves to meet and try to surpass those standards.
- Students learn to respect their competitive peers and grow from that experience.
- Students learn how to cope with situations that sometimes don’t feel “fair” and they learn how to turn that experience into motivation for growth.
- Students learn the art of communication to others through performance.
- Students develop the self- confidence to tackle tough tasks and see them through to completion.
ARTISTIC AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
- Students benefit physically from the training and demands placed on them through movement, dance and prop manipulation.
- Students build endurance through expanded rehearsal and training programs.
- Students learn how to solve problems creatively and adapt to the need to be flexible in their pursuit of their performance objectives.
- Students learn music. The rhythmic and dynamic challenges placed on them turns them into visual musicians as they illustrate the sound of the show through body and equipment.
- Students broaden their aesthetic reality through diverse program and performance situations.
BENEFITS TO THE SCHOOL AND THE COMMUNITY
- The presence of a competitive guard in a school places the students in the public eye bringing positive awareness to the school and the community. They are a Public Relations asset.
- Marching Band programs are enhanced through the guard’s ability to create and illustrate the music for the gratification of the viewing audience.
- The commitment and dedication of the guard, learned through winter programs, enhances the performance standards of the entire band.
MOST OF ALL, THE STUDENTS FIND JOY THROUGH PERFORMANCE, ESTABLISH LIFELONG FRIENDSHIPS WITH THEIR PEERS, LEARN TO NETWORK WITH OTHERS PARTICIPATING IN GUARDS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD AND CREATE MEMORIES THAT LAST A LIFETIME.