All participants of any group competing in any scholastic class must have approval for participation in any WGI-sanctioned event by the administration of the sponsoring school(s). Scholastic groups are defined as follows:
A group whose total membership are students from the same school, schools that feed into that school, or home-schooled students that reside within the school district boundaries. The group shall submit the Single School Participating Group Master Agreement signed by the authorizing school principal or administrator and filed with the WGI office.
A group in any scholastic class may apply for approval to combine students from multiple schools within a school district under the following guidelines:
- Groups combining students from multiple schools within a school district may not have another group in the same division (Color Guard, Percussion, or Winds) participating locally with a Circuit Partner, or with WGI.
- School districts with multiple marching music programs within the district are ineligible to combine students from multiple schools.
- If approved, all combined groups must compete using the school district name only. In certain circumstances, we may use a high school name rather than the district. In these cases, “combined schools” will be added as the official name of the group.
- Scholastic groups utilizing students from parochial, vocational, or charter schools, must apply for approval under combined school guidelines.
- The group shall submit the Combined Schools Participating Group Master Agreement signed by the district superintendent and filed with the WGI office.
- Groups applying to combine students from multiple schools within a school district must apply for approval by December 1.
All combined schools previously approved as of the 2020 season do not need to re-apply to compete as a combined school (unless they have had changes to their circumstances ex: added new schools or other changes). We urge that no promises be made to your participants until you have been approved.
WGI will have the final determination on whether a group will be permitted to combine students from multiple schools.